Lilypie - Fourth Birthday

Lilypie - First Birthday

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Love and Respect by Emmerson Eggerichs



Based on the title, it is not hard to decipher the basic idea of this book on marriage.  But rather than just being another book on marriage, this work only focuses on this principle of love and respect found in Ephesians 5.  Dr. Eggerichs strongly believes that the solution to tension
in many marriages is that women need to unconditionally respect their husbands and husbands in turn need to unconditionally love their wives.  I have actually heard this brought out in most of the myriad of other Christian marriage books that I have read, but from my perspective as a wife, I needed the extra teaching Eggerichs includes on what respect is all about.  Quite frankly, I realized that I was pretty clueless on how important respect is to a husband and what it actually looks like to show respect.  Really, "I respect you" just doesn't exactly roll off my tongue. 
The book gives lots of practical suggestions for how wives can show respect to their husbands and how husbands can be more loving. Whether you have a great marriage or your marriage is in desperate trouble, this would be a good read.  My only critique of the book would be that it is probably too long.  I felt like I got the point, but the author kept adding more stories from counselees to reiterate his points.  Taking into consideration its intended audience, I give it 5 out of 5 stars.

I received a free copy of this book from Thomas Nelson in exchange for a fair and honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment