Lilypie - Fourth Birthday

Lilypie - First Birthday

Friday, November 25, 2011

Mine is the Night by Liz Curtis Higgs

Mine is the Night by Liz Curtis Higgs is the second half of the author's rendition of the biblical story of Ruth set in 18th century Scotland.  I love to read historical ficiton, but had never read anything by Higgs.  I was thoroughly pleased by this well-researched story of love for God, country, and family. 

The main characters changed and grew as the narrative progressed.  The one potential down side to this novel was the predictability sensed by the middle of the novel.  It is, after all, following the story of Ruth, so you know, in a general sense, where it is going.  But this combined with the triple love story could be easily overlooked for those like me who prefer more adventure than romance.  The author keeps you turning the pages as you become swept up with the beautiful countryside and fascinating folk traditions of Scotland during this time period.  I only wish I had read the precursor Here Burns My Candle first. . .


I give this book a wholehearted 5 out of 5 stars.

I received a free copy of this book from Waterbrook Multnomah Publishing Group in exchange for a fair and honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment