Lilypie - Fourth Birthday

Lilypie - First Birthday

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Nearing Home by Billy Graham




Nearing Home by Billy Graham is a book of tender insights on aging presented by one of America’s most beloved evangelists. Though I certainly did not endorse all of Graham’s ministry practices, I was curious what his last words would sound like.  Interestingly he writes that “growing old has been the greatest surprise of my life.”  A nearly 93 year old Graham shares his hopeful expectation of a home in heaven (reunited with his beloved wife), but also concedes that there are more than just “aches and pains” associated with growing old.



Through Scripture quotations, numerous stories, and personal experience he gives practical advice and spiritual guidance for how a Christian should handle retirement, aging, and death.  Graham is honest and often blunt regarding his own experience with growing old.  However he continues to share his love for God and hope of a heavenly home to all who will hear. 

4 out of 5 stars.

I received a free copy of this book from Thomas Nelson in exchange for a fair and honest review.

2 comments:

  1. I would be interested in why you rated this book as 4 stars, rather than 5. Your brief review said nothing negative, but neither did it rave about the book. Is the writing, itself, just okay? Or was it something else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, Vicki, I thought about that after I posted the review. I don't have anything negative to say exactly, but I just didn't feel it deserved 5 stars. It was a good book containing exactly what I would expect to read from Graham, but it wasn't spectacular.

    ReplyDelete