Lilypie - Fourth Birthday

Lilypie - First Birthday

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

What A Son Needs From His Dad

 

So you may already be skeptical reading a mom's review of a book for a dad, but hear me out.  Seeing the cover of What a Son Needs From His Dad: How a Man Prepares His Sons for Life by Michael A O'Donnell really made me interested in what this author had to say.  But I must admit I was pretty disappointed.

 

The book is lacking something from the very beginning.  Don't get me wrong.  The author includes chapters on all the essentials, but the writing style is dull.  Instead of sharing his own unique perspective on the topic, I felt like I was reading a school report full of extended quotes from various authors.

 

I also had one major point of contention with the author in his chapter addressing what he called "the bird and te bees."  He holds to the same view of masturbation as James Dobson and believes we can tell our sons it is OK to do this.  His belief that it is possible for boys and men to masturbate without the aid of any sinful images is a position I find difficult to hold.  The problem is the same for much of his counsel to fathers in this book -- he really doesn't feel the need to use Scripture to support his opinions. 

 

I feel a father could probably read this book and glean some useful information.  But if the father in your life is anything like my husband (with a stack of "must-read" books already) consider finding a book which tells him how to be a good dad rather just listing all the things a good dad should be doing.

I give this book 1 out 5 stars.  I received a free copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers in exchange for a fair and honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment