Lilypie - Fourth Birthday

Lilypie - First Birthday

Friday, July 20, 2012

Book Review: The Messenger by Siri Mitchell

Immediately plunging you into the world of the Quakers during the Revolutionary War, Siri Mitchell makes the reader consider several questions surrounding pacifism and the ethics of spying during time of war.  In The Messenger, you will follow two characters who couldn't be more different but whose lives become reluctantly intertwined.

Hannah is a Quaker who begins forbidden visits to the jail where her brother is being held in despicable conditions.  Though wanting to remain loyal to her faith, she comes to realize she has to do what she believes is right even if that puts her at odds with the Quaker community.  Jeremiah is a wounded British veteran of Pontiac's War and is secretly taking out his revenge on the British for his injuries he endured by aiding the colonials. 

I had just a couple of comments about this book.  Unfortunately for me, my knowledge of Revolutionary War era history was lacking and I wish I had first read the author's notes found at the end of the book.  So I sort of had some confusion cleared up at the end when I read those notes.  Also, at times, the book seemed to drag a bit.  This is probably because of the depth of the topics covered.  The author spent a lot of time delving into the inner turmoil especially within our Quaker heroine.  Other readers however may find this kind of intensity appealing.

I would stay say this was an intriguing read and give it 4 out of 5 stars.

I received a free copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers in exchange for a fair and honest review.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment