Lilypie - Fourth Birthday

Lilypie - First Birthday

Friday, October 19, 2012

Book Review: The Prophet by RJ Larson




Admittedly, I am not a fan of fantasy type fiction.  For some reason I was drawn to this book (maybe it was the eye-catching cover) and started reading I before I realized the genre.  The book centers around Ela who is chosen by the Infinite One to be a prophet.  She is accompanied by her disfigured younger sister and is immediately sent into a period of testing/teaching by the Infinite One.  It is at this point I began to take issue with the author's representation of what I assumed to be her idea of how God would operate in this fictitious world that had been created (and I confirmed this assumption by the list of questions to consider found at the back of the book).  God (AKA the Infinite One) just seems to torment this newbie prophet just to prove to her that she is utterly dependent on Him.

The storyline was mostly intriguing but it seemed to drag at certain points.  I can see now why there is a character list at the beginning of the book because I often lost track of all the similar sounding made-up names.
 So since I have not read much Christian fantasy, I have little to compare this with, but this work certainly did not convince me that I have missed out on much.

3 out of 5 stars.
I received a free copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers in exchange for a fair and honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment