Lilypie - Fourth Birthday

Lilypie - First Birthday

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Book Review: A Home in Drayton Valley



A Home in Drayton Valley by Kim Vogel Sawyer had me heartbroken at first.  Between a mother of two young children dying of cancer and a close-up look at poverty with the effects of alcoholism/gambling on a family – this book had all the makings of a sad read.  Not my kind of book.  But I kept reading, and I have to say that I am glad I did.
It takes a truly gifted author to change your opinion about a character.  I started out despising Joss and all that he put his family through, to cheering him on as he changed to something altogether different.
Tarsie is tossed in as the woman who makes a deathbed promise to her best friend, only to realize she has no idea where that would lead her.
I can honestly say I was challenged by the message of this book, which is all too rare for Christian fiction anymore.  First, only God can perform change in a person’s life.  And secondly, we can trust Him to arrange our steps according to His plans.  I almost hesitate to call this a love story because it certainly took a unique route to get there.
5 out of 5 stars
I received a free copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers in exchange for a fair and honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment